Holocaust Education & Archive Research Team
Introduction to the Ghettos of the Holocaust
A Jewish settlement was founded in Tluszcz in the early 20th Century, and the Jewish population grew to 1102 in 1921. Gur Hassadin redominated in the community, which was served by R. Yaakov, Yosef Birkman from 1912 until his murder by the Nazis in 1942.
The Zionist and Agudat Israel were active between the two world wars, with Yavne and Beth Jacob schools in operation.
The Nazis took the city on 14 September 1939 setting up a Judenrat in October and instituting a regime of forced labour. Many fled east in the winter of 1939/40 leaving about 740 Jews , including refuges in the town.
Crowded into a ghetto from September 1940 the Jewish population suffered from starvation and a typhoid epidemic, throughout that winter.
On 27 May 1942 600 Jews were led towards Radzymin after 70 were shot in the town, about half of the deportees were murdered along the way and the rest were sent to the Warsaw Ghetto.
The Encyclopaedia of the Holocaust
Copyright: Tim Highfen 2007
Copyright: SP & CH H.E.A.R.T 2007